Towards TeraHertz Communication Workshop
Towards TeraHertz Communication Workshop was held in Brussels on March 7, 2018. Presentations can be found on the site.
VTC Workshop Call for Papers – extended
International Workshop on THz Communication Technologies for Systems Beyond 5G
Although 5G seems more than willing to embrace several game changing design principles, such as densification, virtualization and softwarization, in order to enhance scalability, flexibility and efficient resources utilization, it can be easily understood that fundamental performance limitations related to available bandwidth, transmission and processing delay and cost and energy consumption still define the envelope. To break these technological barriers networks beyond 5G will need to bring little explored wireless resources and technologies to validation and exploitation by directing research towards de-risking technological concepts, components, architectures and systems concepts.
THz communications is an attractive candidate technology, especially when compared to the less flexible and more costly optical fiber connections and to the lower data rate wireless technologies, such as for example visible light communication, microwave links, and wireless fidelity (WiFi). As a consequence, the THz band, for wireless access and the supporting backhaul network infrastructure, is expected to influence the main technology trends in wireless networks within the next ten years and beyond. The implementation of THz frequency based wireless networks is expected to take advantage of breakthrough novel technological concepts, such as the joint design of baseband signal processing for the complete optical and wireless link, the development of broadband and highly spectrally efficient radio frequency (RF) frontends operating at frequencies higher than 275 GHz, and new standardized electrical-optical (E/O) interfaces. Associated to the extremely large bandwidths and the propagation properties of the THz regime, improved channel modeling and the design of appropriate waveforms, multiple-access schemes and antenna array configurations will be required for the successful introduction of THz communications.
Motivated by the potential of THz technologies to transform the future of ICT, this workshop aspires to reveal and discuss the critical technology gaps as well as the appropriate enablers, in terms of baseband processing RF frontend, channel models and waveforms, signals and coding, beam-patterns and medium access schemes.
The workshop invites contributions that address the baseband and RF frontend design, the analysis and assessment of innovative theoretical models, information theory and signal processing approaches, resource and interference management strategies and overall network architecture for THz communications systems beyond 5G. Specific topics include, but are not limited to:
- THz band transceivers
- Massive MIMO antenna arrays for THz mobile heterogeneous networks
- Information and communications theoretic issues of THz band communication
- THz band channel and propagation modeling
- Novel waveforms for THz-band communications
- Modulation and channel coding for the THz-band
- MAC layer design for THz communication networks
- Interference management for THz communications
- Beamforming and spatial processing schemes
- System-level modeling in THz communication networks
- Architectural experimental demonstrations, tests and performance characterization of THz systems
- Resource allocation aspects for THz communication systems
- Standardization and business models for THz networks
- Angeliki Alexiou, University of Piraeus, email@example.com
- Colja Schubert, Fraunhofer HHI
- Thomas Merkle, Fraunhofer IAF
- Markku Juntti, University of Oulu
- Kristaps Dobrajs, JCP-Connect
- Francisco Rodrigues, PicAdvanced
- Nelson José Valente da Silva, Altice Labs
- Dimitrios Kritharidis, Intracom Telecom
- Technical papers submission deadline:
19 January 2018
- Technical papers submission extended deadline: 2 February 2018
- Notification of acceptance by 15 February 2018
- Final papers submission deadline: 28 February 2018
For more information: http://www.ieeevtc.org/vtc2018spring/cfw-pprs.php
Paper Submission Link: https://vtc2018s-rr-wks.trackchair.com/track/1663/submit
The TERRANOVA project has officially kicked-off! All 7 partners will meet in Athens, Greece, on the 3rd and 4th of July, for the first time since the project has been accepted and will start on the work.